Oct 27, 2008

Love Like a Hurricane

I have had this song in my heart since we got back from Catlalyst a few weeks ago. It goes like this...

He is jealous for me
Loves like a hurricane
I am a tree
Bending beneath the weight of
His wind and mercy



I was telling Natalie this morning about Psalm 42:7. It was the scripture in the devotional we both read. It says: "His waves and His breakers wash over me."


I do feel like I am in a hurricane right now. With less than 3 weeks until departure there still so much to do and so many people to see and so many necks to hug.

But I guess it is my choice to see this storm as something that will make my roots grow deeper into Him. That these are winds of mercy, because He loves me, He wants me to be stronger.

I can't live in regret for the things that may not get done here before I go. I have a feeling this is going to be part of the process of leaving Honduras when I come back in 2009. There will still be so much work to do there. There will still be so many needs. I will have to leave the work undone and the needs unmet.

This is very difficult to swallow.

But the next verse in the song goes like this:

And all of a sudden
I am unaware of these afflictions eclipsed by glory

And I realize just how beautiful You are

And how great Your affections are for me

Oh, how He loves us, how He loves us so


And heaven meets earth like a sloppy wet kiss
And my heart turns violently inside of my chest
I realize I can't maintain these regrets
When I think about the way that He loves me


So, I choose to let the winds of mercy whip me and bend me to the will of God. And I will grow my roots deeper into the Word and I will become a stronger tree.

Maybe when the storms are over, I will have grown big enough to offer someone shade beneath my limbs. And I can give them rest and tell them how the storms in my life produced the cool shade they now find comfort in.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

hi there, liked the fact u have given this song some thought, my mate who is the worship leader and introduced this song and it went down like marmite, some loved it and some hated it and said it was SO wrong, haha, all I know is that God used it to bring loads of youth to the Lord so it cant be that bad :)