Jan 27, 2009

Humbled Again...

I am re-reading Andrew Murray's book Humility. I just love the way he writes...no one uses that old language anymore. I read the book last year while I  was in the internship with HPC and I have carried it with me to Honduras because I knew I would need some more time to chew on it's teachings.

You should see my copy of the book...all underlined, notes in the margins, and circled words on every page. haha...I just can't help it. Every time I read it I get more, the Lord reveals more and I have to write it down, circle it or underline it. It is starting to look a lot like my bible. 

Anyway...this trip to the states has allowed me more time to read than I would normally have, so I am taking advantage of it...even if it is in the back of a car, in the bathroom, or in my bed at 3am! haha

I was reading in the car yesterday, while we were on our way to see Dr. Martin's parents. I was just full of joy. This book shows us that true humility isn't feeling bad about ourselves or beating ourselves up because we are sinners...it is having the proper estimate of ourselves in relation to our Creator. 

Check this out:

The call to humility has been too little regarded by the church because it's true nature and importance have been too little apprehended. It is not something we bring to God, or the he bestows; it is simply the sense of entire nothingness that comes when we see how truly God is everything. When the creature realizes that this is a place of honor, and consents to be - with his will, his mind, and his affections - the vessel in which the life and glory of God are to work and manifest themselves, he sees that humility is simply acknowledging the truth of his position as creature  and yielding to God His place. (emphasis mine)
We have to realize who we are in the scheme of things and let God be God.

There is something so special about serving others as Christ did. With a pure heart and a loving spirit. I am seeing growth in my life since I read this book last year. It is so cool to see God changing my heart and that He really can produce something beautiful out of mere dust. My heart just leapt when I read this in the preface:

When Jesus said, "Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant" (Matt 20:26), He was teaching us the truth that there is nothing so divine as being the servant and helper of all. The faithful servant who recognizes his position finds real pleasure in supplying the wants of the master or his guests. (emphasis mine)

When we love serving...no matter who we are serving or how we are serving them...we are really living like Jesus, who came to be a servant of all. This is what I want...to serve with a pure heart and to love those that I serve, no matter who they are, what they look like or smell like. To love them and share Christ with them through that love.  

No comments: