So in an effort to keep my mind from turning into one big Dairy Queen Blizzard I want to share some things I have learned about international air travel.
What to put in your carry on:
- an extra pair of underwear - don't argue, you WILL need them
- change of clothes - if you can fit them it's a good idea in case you and your luggage don't end up in the same place at the same time
- mp3 player/comfortable head phones
- deodorant - you don't want to be the stinky person
- toothpaste & tooth brush - this goes along with #4
- neck pillow - this is controversial but I am soo glad I spent $1.97 on a blow up one
- light weight jacket - hot, cold, hot, cold you will constantly be regulating temperatures
- airborne - lots of icky plane germs recirculating in the cabin
- hand sanitizer - to clean up before meals
- Giant Book of Variety Puzzles - get one at the Dollar Tree they are amazing
- journal/bible - there is plenty of time to read and journal on a long flight
- gum and lots of it - this goes with #4 but also helps with the pressure in your ears
- Advil PM - it helps to regulate your sleep and keeps you from getting all stiff
- Med-Peds - travel socks help keep your feet from swelling & help prevent DVT you can get them at Wal-Mart for like $4 (get the over the calf kind)
- baby wipes - great for washing your face and giving you that "oh so clean feeling"
OK so that may be a lot of things to carry but it is totally worth it. I am sure I have forgotten things so please feel free to leave a comment and add to the list.
- if you don't cover your bags in prayer and have people praying that all 26 pieces of your luggage make it to where you end up you will probably lose something
- stay calm
- even if you are running full speed through the airport trying to catch a plane that has already been scheduled to leave
- even if you have no idea what is going on
- know your rights so the airlines can't pull the wool over your eyes
- be patient
- be courteous
- treat everyone with respect
It is when we are pulled past our comfort zone that we are given the opportunity to rise up and demonstrate the substance of our character. It is easy to give when it doesn't really cost you anything. The victory comes when you choose to sacrifice your desires so someone else can be happier (maybe even happier than you).