Aug 24, 2008

Every Day Divine Appointments

We don't always have our spiritual eyes open. We go through our daily routines and pass up hurting people all of the time. I have been challenged, lately, to try and live with my eyes wide open.

I went to visit my grandparents and Aunt Peggy a few weeks ago in Ruston, LA. While I was there my granddaddy blessed me with a tank of gas to help me get home. When we drove into the gas station I had a feeling someone was going to ask me for some money. I made a mental note of the money I had in my wallet and sure enough, I was approached by a woman when I got out of my car.

She was an older woman, she said her name was Betty. She asked for a few dollars to put gas in her car to get her to the doctors office. I can't know if her story was true. But I gave her $5 and she started to cry. She said she was very sick and asked if I would pray for her. I don't think she thought I would pray for her right there, but I didn't want to let this moment pass.

I asked her if i could pray with her and she agreed but said not to get too close cause she was really sick. I put my hand on her shoulder right there between the gas pumps and began to lift her up to the Father. I don't remember what I prayed, but as I ended the prayer she began to pray for me, my grandfather and my whole family. We were both crying when she finished. She looked me straight in the eye and said, "I'll never forget you."

She turned around and realized that she pulled her car in on the wrong side of the pump. She got back in her car and drove away with tears streaming down her face. I don't think I will ever forget Mrs. Betty either.

I don't know if she told the truth about the money, but I don't think it really mattered. What mattered is that God showed up between the gas pumps that day. He opened my eyes to that hurting woman and used me to help heal part of her heart. I don't know where she is or what she is doing now, but I do know that I am a different person after meeting her.

I am imperfect. I am flawed. I am apathetic at times, but for some reason God still wants to use me. I am honored and humbled all at the same time. Most of all I am challenged to live my life with my eyes opened...Looking for those hurt people. Listening to the Holy Spirit and sacrificing that selfish part of me that says "you don't have enough to give."

We have every day divine appointments. How many are we missing?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i love these stories....tell me more!--kristinstutes.com