Aug 12, 2008

Surefooted

I have taken a new approach to my quiet times. Some how they had ended up being about me...go figure. You know, my encouragement, my calling, my life...me, myself and I. So I made the decision to go spend time with God to learn about Him. No ulterior motives. Not seeking blessings, encouragement, or confirmation. I just want to be in His presence and learn more about His character.

This is not as easy as it sounds. That very same morning I read this:

Habakkuk 3:17-18

"Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

Whew...try not applying that one to yourself! I was like "Oh no...will there be famine in my life, will I be starved spiritually, will I, will I, will I." Then I remembered my decision...this time is not about me. So I asked God, "what does this tell me about you?"

Habakkuk was a prophet of God, that means he was God's voice to the people. So if anyone was close to God at that time it had to be Habakkuk. Even though this verse paints a pretty bleak picture of what Habakkuk is suffering, or willing to suffer, it also shows how dedicated he is to serving God. He says "I will rejoice in the Lord."

God tests those who are close to Him to make them stronger. And what I learned about God, that day, is that He expects us to weather the circumstances by rejoicing in Him.

The cool thing about God is that He will never let you walk away empty handed...He gave me a little nugget for myself...what ever is going on in my life, even if it means I have absolutely no security for my future, He expects me to rejoice in Him, to praise Him, and to continue to serve Him. The last verse, Habakkuk 3:19 says, "The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to climb the heights."

So find your strength in God, friends. Rejoice in Him no matter what you see, or don't see, ahead and He will make you as surefooted as a deer!

For these kids everyday is a step of faith.
I think they understand Habakkuk very well,
and thanks to Children's Cup they are
learning to rejoice in the Lord!

No comments: