Sep 15, 2008

Wordstudy on Catapults

Dr. Martin keeps using the word catapult to describe what God is preparing us for in Rio Viejo. So naturally I have been thinking a lot about the word. I know what a catapult is...it is one of those giant Medieval slingshot things, but I looked up the definition anyway on dictionary.com and here are some that were particular intriguing...

Definition #1: A military machine for hurling missiles, such as large stones or spears, used in ancient and medieval times.

OK humor me for just a minute while I break this down...

I am picturing myself sitting in the bucket part of the catapult...feeling a bit uneasy now. Does being in the bullet holder make me the bullet? I am OK with being in the bucket...as long as no one goes near that rope that is keeping me from being hurled through the air at an incredibly fast speed only to make a sudden painful contact with the ground...OK I am getting out of the bucket now...very carefully.

Definition #2: To thrust or move quickly or suddenly

Let's think about this...am I really ready to be catapulted? I could see that happening once I get to Honduras. I will have to move pretty fast to keep up with the pace there. I know...you're thinking...Honduras is a Latin country it moves reeeal slooow, but I will tell you that ministry there moves just as fast as ministry here in the States - the only difference is that the rest of the people around you are moving slower than you are, which I can only assume gets frustrating sometimes.

Definition #3: A device that launches aircraft from a warship

By now I realize that this is definately a military type word...hurling things from warships quickly and suddenly. I feel like I am back in the bucket with white knuckels gripping the sides, one eye tightly shut and the other one glued to the rope that is keeping me from experiencing gravity in a whole new way.

Man...who knew one little word could do so much to a person! In the past few days I have had a crash course on Spiritual Authority and Spiritual Warfare. Now here I am, doing a word study on catapults...a war machine. I think God may be preparing me for something...what do you think? So I have decided to shine up my armor, sit calmly in the bucket trusting that if God cuts the rope He knows exactly where I am going to land. How about this...I am even going to enjoy the ride...instead of flailing about in fear and thinking about how much it is going to hurt when I hit the ground...I am going to act like a real bullet and focus on how much damage I am going to do to the Enemy.

So if I have learned anything about catapults, it is that they can be the turning point in a battle. They can help you cover a lot of ground in a short period of time, and they demand reverence on the battlefield. I am glad I am on the winning side...the side with the catapults.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is a great way of thinking. You have such a way with words sis. I love you