Feb 17, 2009

If you Can't Beat 'Em...

So I have made fun of Allison and Claire for having mosquito nets. Not really making fun of them...but I didn't think that it was necessary to sleep under there like you were camping out. I didn't like they way they touched you in the middle of the night...I felt like I was suffocating. I would rather take my chances with the bugs. 

I mean...they really aren't that bad. 


Right?


WRONG!!!!!

Last week while the group was here from Atlanta, I had a run in with a pretty big bug. Yep, you guessed it...in my bed. I was sleeping...not very soundly, thank God, when out of no where I hear this loud THUMP on my pillow. As soon as it made contact I was out of the bed. I couldn't see what it was because it was 3:45am and pitch black in my room...but I knew it was BIG.

I ran to the light switch and flipped it on...and there on my pillow...inches from where I was resting my head...was a SCORPION...a big one, about 4 inches long. On my PILLOW! I am very attached to my pillows, and I was feeling very sorry for it as the scorpion marched proudly around it's new territory. 

So...how do you kill a scorpion at 3:47am when it is on your pillow? You don't. I couldn't catch it... he disappeared into my bed sheets never to be found again. He is probably lurking somewhere in my house to this very day. So what did I do? I couldn't get back in bed knowing that he was in there...somewhere.

Allison is out of town for a while...so I slept in her bed...under her mosquito net. Alass...I must concede that when you live in Honduras...in a house that is not perfectly sealed up...you need some form of protection from the creepy crawlies. 

Some of you may be thinking to yourselves...I am supposed to go on a trip to HHIM in the near future...do I need a bug net of my own? I am proud to say no, you don't. The dorm is completely sealed up...it is like a fortress...no holes for the critters. So rest easy friends.

I will have you know that I slept in Allison's bed until I could go to La Ceiba and purchase some netting from the local fabric store. So I am now a proud owner of a custom made, by yours truly, mosquito net. I am sleeping soundly now! Whew!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

o my gosh! i think i would freak out just slightly myself : )

Anonymous said...

Yikes! That's crazy! Ha. Glad that you can "rest easy" now with your new protective net.

Love you girl!