Aug 20, 2009

Patience

Why is it that when we ask for patience...we have to wait?

I know this is a silly question, and I don't want to seem like a whiny little girl or anything...but waiting is hard. I remember this feeling a while back. I remember waiting to be in Honduras...waiting to pack my bags and bring my body to where my heart was already living.

I can remember trying to enjoy the wait. I knew then...the same thing I know now...that you have to come to a place where you truly enjoy the period of waiting until you are released from it. You have to come to a place where it doesn't feel like waiting anymore.

Man...I can't wait to be there.

No, but it's true. I think the root of patience is trust. Trusting in God's timing and that his will is best delivered in that timing. It is also comes with a big dollop of humility...I am not God and I don't get to decide when, where, why, how or who. That will put the brakes on for sure.

So here I am, in my living room, eating humble pie...feeling a bit silly and ashamed that I would ever need to be reminded that the garden of patience is tended by time, and the sweetest smells are produced after we have forgotten we were even waiting on them.

But that's ok...we all need reminders from time to time. I just happen to need them a bit more frequently right now. God is good to us, He doesn't know how to be anything else.

Breathe...trust...breathe...trust...work in me Lord. Till up the soil in my heart and plant your garden of patience. Let me rest in the shadow of your wings until harvest time. Lay me down in those green pastures and lead me to the still waters of life. As always, I am yours. Lead me and I will follow.

No comments: