Dec 1, 2009

Kernels of Thanks?

As we sat around the Thanksgiving table last week our plates loaded down with food, the room filled with fond memories of years past and smiles decorated all of our faces...my grandfather said, "You will notice a pile of corn kernels in front of your plate. Every time you think of something you are thankful for just throw one into the center of the table." As everyone began to understand the assignment he added, "And no one is keeping count."

Needless to say by the end of the meal we had all managed to transfer all of our kernels to the center of the table. There are so many things to be thankful for in this world, but that day my kernels seemed to represent the things that live at home...things in my heart and the people around me.

Later that night we all sat around drinking tea or coffee and finishing off the last bit of pecan pie we began talking about plans for the next year. Usually these conversations revolve around decisions that need to be made, the economy and the state of our homes...they are sprinkled with fantasies of travel and spiced with stories of love, but when the conversation settles on me things get a little bit tense.

This year, as the tensions began to rise I realized something. It is something I have known all along, but I guess I never put the pieces of the puzzle together or maybe I never stepped back to take in the complete picture. Everyone in that room, regardless of whether we see eye to eye on every issue, loves me and cares for me. The concerns they have for my future, my wellbeing, my comfort drive their questions and even thought they make me bristle sometimes I am grateful for them.

I am blessed with a family that cares enough about me to risk asking the tough questions. They love me enough to take a chance at hurting my feelings. As I was writing in my journal that night...I wished I had a whole handful of kernels left that I could throw into the center of the table. I love my family and they love me...not everyone can say that, and I am so thankful for them.

So here's to family! Remember as you walk through the rest of the holiday season, that usually the things that bug you about your family really stem from the qualities you love about them. Walk in grace and love them back. I love you guys!

1 comment:

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

isn't it funny how what's clear from the outside-in is always fuzzy when you're looking from the inside out? :)

you mom and everyone else just wants the best for you... and partly sad that your mission is to another country! keep letting God guide you, letting His spirit show and no one will be able to doubt your calling.

love you and so proud of all you are doing!