Feb 17, 2010

Full Circle

In 2005, Hurricane Katrina hit my home town, and opened the door for God to reenter my life. While the city was reeling from the disaster my future church (HPC) was serving it up hard, and I was trying to figure out what really mattered in life. I ended up staying at my grandparent's house in Ruston, LA for about 3 weeks, and while I was there I painted my Grammy's favorite Bible verse on a beam in her kitchen.

"...As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." Joshua 24:15

It kept me busy, you know? Having a project to complete, kept me from being lost in the feelings that were trying to take over my heart and my mind. The verse kept me grounded...little did I know that God's word was taking root in my heart.

This week I got to paint another verse on another wall. We have an incredible world map mural on the second floor of the dorm that was painted by Rob and Michelle Gros, from HPC. We always wanted to put a verse on the map, but we couldn't decide on the right one or where to put it. However this week, we made a decision, and I got to paint a part of the most incredible verse on the outside wall of my apartment.

"For God so loved the world..." John 3:16


As I was working on the map, all I could do was pray that whoever saw those words and saw that map would realize how big God's heart must be to love the whole world. I hope it reminds me to love more, just like the verse at my Grammy's reminds me that my love for God will changes the lives of my family and... my family's family.

Sometimes we just need to reevaluate and remember what really matters in life.

No comments: