Mar 8, 2009

Brenda's Bags

Brenda with 2 of her creations.

A friend of mine here in Honduras (the mother of my favorite twins) is an excellent seamstress. She has a great talent, and I thought...what a great opportunity to share Honduras with the people at home! So Brenda and I got together and designed some messenger bags and purses. Each one is handmade by Brenda and they are all made from different kinds of fabric and buttons...no two are exactly alike. I pick out the colors and purchase all of the materials in La Ceiba and then Brenda works off of a basic design adding her special touches and style. 

It is one of the coolest things I have done here. I would love to continue to build relationships with the women in the villages, discover their talents and then be able to share something tangible with you. If you are interested in knowing more about Brenda and her family or would like her to make a bag for you...just send me an email! 

2 comments:

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

heather!!!! hola prima! so saw this post and what a sweet idea. have you ever heard of etsy.com? check it out might be cool to set her up an account. just a thought. xoxo.

Heather Stewart said...

Hey Laura that is a great idea! I do know about Etsy but I didn't think about it...I will have to look into it. I want to make sure to start small with this so she doesn't get overwhelmed.

Thanks for the ideas! Love ya!!!